16 Sep Stoptober’19: Time to Quit
Stoptober 2019, the 28 day stop smoking campaign from Public Health England, is around the corner! So far it has driven over one million quit attempts. It is based on research stating that if you can stop smoking for 28 days, you are up to four times more likely to stay smokefree for good.
But why is Stoptober 2019 the time for you to quit smoking? Here are three good reasons to quit:
- FEEL HEALTHIER
No matter how long you have smoked for, quitting can help improve your health straight away. Within just 48 hours your body will have flushed out all carbon monoxide.
- SAVE MONEY
If you smoke a packet a day you could save £250 each month!
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY
Quitting helps to protect your loved ones from harmful second-hand smoke – reducing their risk of developing asthma, meningitis and some cancers.
Our stop smoking specialists can offer you support and advice on how and why to quit smoking. Here are some top tips to help you get started:
- Try stop smoking aids – including nicotine replacement therapies (NRT), prescription tablets and e-cigarettes. These increase your chances of quitting with just willpower alone.
- Know your triggers – Stop Smoking Specialist, Arjun, says, “If a stressful environment, such as crying children at home, looming deadlines at work, or even at a party where we’re expected to mingle with new people, are triggers to smoke – the short pause to investigate how we’re feeling can create a sufficient gap in between the stressor and the response. lighting the cigarette.”He continues, “This space we’ve created allows us to make a decision in a calmer, more rational manner.”
- Keep busy – try going for a walk, playing a game on your phone or tablet or phoning a friend until the craving passes. Or if you are using NRT or an e-cigarette use it to keep the cravings at bay.
- Exercise the urge away – physical activity may help to reduce your nicotine cravings. When you have the urge to smoke, try doing something active like going on a short brisk walk or swimming in your local pool.
- Be prepared – if you have a big event like an important day at work or a wedding where you could be tempted to smoke, make a plan so you know what to do.
Quitting smoking is one of the healthiest changes you can make, and you’re less likely to relapse when you have consistent support.
The counselling sessions One You East Sussex offer alongside the nicotine replacement therapy have been developed by experts and people who understand what it’s like to quit smoking. Click ‘Get Started’ and complete the form to speak with our team about how we could help you to quit the habit for good.